Saturday, April 20, 2019

Run the Mile You're In: My Review of the Book and Personal Anecdotes

Before I started running three short years ago, I read books and articles and watched films about runners, and I dreamed of running but didn't imagine it actually happening, until that one day when I took the first step and laced up my shoes and headed out the door, unable to run even a block before stopping to walk. Ever since I can remember I've been interested in stories of perseverance and overcoming obstacles. I've devoured books and articles and films. I've wondered how people press forward. I've discovered that in all of the stories I've read about persevering, there's always a larger sense of purpose--a bigger WHY for doing what you do. A sense of purpose is exactly what Ryan Hall describes in his newest book Run the Mile You're In.

Several weeks ago when I saw the call for applications to serve on a book launch team for Hall's book Run the Mile You're In, I jumped at the opportunity. Gratefully, I was selected as one of the readers to receive an advanced digital copy of the book so I could read and write a review in preparation for the book's release on April 16th. My short review came after reading and reflecting on the book.

Cleverly divided into 26 chapters, Ryan Hall’s fast-paced book run the mile you’re in inspires and motivates through stories of his incredible life as a student athlete and then professional runner. Woven throughout the expressive life stories you will find Bible verses that connect to the stories he tells about his life and running career.
If you’re not a runner, there’s inspiration in Hall’s amazing stories of listening to God for direction guidance. And if you are a runner you’ll be motivated by Hall‘s dedication to the mental and physical challenges that running can bring. One of the best quotes in the book is “comparison sucks the life out of what we are doing. We are all on a beautiful journey, so let us be thankful for every step, even if our journey looks different from someone else’s.”
Graphic courtesy of launch team.

Fortunately, I read the book prior to several 10+ mile events I ran because I heard in my head mantras and wisdom from Hall and his references to scriptures that helped me push through discomfort and low points during those runs. Those were my "come-back" runs as far as I was concerned.

I needed a come-back run for myself. When my radiologist told me in November that I would eventually run a half-marathon again, I wanted nothing more than to believe her and to realize that dream. After all, I had worked hard to run and improve my pace while running and I maintained a running routine during my radiation treatments, but I also lost speed and mileage following surgery and during recovery. When on March 30th, I ran my first half-marathon post surgery/radiation, I found myself beginning with the comparison game again. 

Then I remembered these lines from Run the Mile You're In,  "...the best way to compete is to strive for personal excellence...comparisons in athletics and in life are so fruitless. When we compare we miss the joy of the journey as well as the joy of the achievement (p. 99)."

Joy--isn't that what I'm always aiming to choose? Yes. Absolutely, yes. I literally gave thanks to God in that moment for the fact that I was even at mile 9 (If if you're at all familiar with Run the Bluegrass, you'll know that mile 9 is infamous for its hill. Actually, the whole course is known for its hills and that's typically one of the things I like best about it).

Sure, I didn't beat my time from last year, but I did "flip [a negative] thought into a true and encouraging statement that...ignited hope in my spirit (p. 83)." I chose then to focus on love over fear and to run the mile I was in.
Wearing pink to honor my journey. #choosejoy

NOTE: I highly recommend Run the Mile You're In (marked here with post-it tabs because I needed an example of how much I wanted my students to mark up with sticky notes their independent reading books--they liked my example) I also highly recommend Run the Bluegrass--America's Prettiest Half-Marathon. I've run it three times now, and it's the best!

NOTE: One of the privileges of serving on the book launch team was that we had the opportunity to attend Facebook Live events with Ryan Hall, and at one such event, I asked if he had any advice for those of us who entered running in mid-life, and he graciously responded, telling us it's just about a delayed running life and we have a training age and biological age--a chance to get faster and keep getting PRs and improving, so it's all about progress!